A Global Hub for Business: Madeira
By mcs editor No Comments
At a time that it is increasingly important for companies to have internationalization tools at their disposal, the Autonomous Region of Madeira enables companies to significantly reduce their internationalization costs.
Given the above, the set of tax benefits available within the Madeira International Business Center (MIBC) make it possible for international companies to reduce their internationalization/context costs.
Thus, companies wishing to internationalize and that have their core business in international trade activities, e-business and telecommunications, consultancy and marketing services, as well as the management of intellectual property, the development of real estate projects or management of investments can license themselves in the MIBC / ZFM and get the following benefits:
Available Tax Benefits within the MIBC
- 5% Corporate Tax Rate, provided some legal requirements are met;
- Access to the Portuguese system of participation exemption ;
- No withholding tax on:
- Payment of dividends, to non-resident entities
- Payment of services, to non-resident entities;
- Payment of interest, to non-resident entities;
- Payment of royalties, to non-resident entities;
- Exemption from 80% in stamp duty on documents, contracts and other acts carried out requiring public register since performed with non-resident entities in Portugal or licensed in the MIBC;
- Companies licensed in the MIBC also benefit from 80% of municipal property tax and property transfer tax exemption due to the acquisition of immovable property for the installation, as well as other fees and local taxes;
- Access to the network of double taxation treaties signed by Portugal.
It is important to note that the MIBC / ZFM is covered by all tax and social security Portuguese laws and is licensed under European Union law. Such legislative provisions allow the MIBC / ZFM to fully comply with national and international standards.
The benefits above mentioned can be combined with the highly attractive Portuguese Golden Residence Permit Programme (also known as Golden Visa) and the Non-Habitual Resident (NHR) Tax Regime, which grants a 10 year tax exemption on new residents.
Having said, it is clear that all companies can alleviate the costs associated with the internationalization of its activities in an efficient way by using Madeira as its HQ.
Our team at MCS, with more than 20 years of experience in the sector, is able to assist in the incorporation of your company within the MIBC or Portugal. For more information click here, for information our services click here.