The Government of the Autonomous Region of Madeira (RAM) has defined, in relation to the Standardization Plan for Air Accessibility, to be in force as of July 1, with regard to travelers to the airports of Madeira and Porto Santo:
- Filling out and submitting the epidemiological survey
Survey in portuguese: http://apps.iasaude.pt/s-alerta/questionarios/viagem/questionario.cfm?l=PT
Survey in other foreign languages: http://apps.iasaude.pt/s-alerta/questionarios/viagem/
All passengers must complete the Regional Health Authority’s (IASAÚDE) form.
The form should be filled in previously to the trip, between 48 and 12 hours before departure.
The survey is available at the Regional Health Authority’s website and, will also be accessible through airlines’ websites that so consent.
Alternatively, the completion of the survey, on paper, may occur on arrival at airports in the Autonomous Region of Madeira.
- Thermal Screening
All passengers landed at airports in Autonomous Region of Madeira are subject to thermal screening, even if they carry a negative test for COVID-19 disease, carried out within 72 hours prior to landing, in laboratories certified by national or international authorities.
- COVID-19 disease test
Each traveller who disembarks at the airports of the Autonomous Region of Madeira is obliged to alternatively fulfill, and under the supervision and guidance of the competent health authorities, that which is established in one of the following paragraphs:
- a) Provide proof of having performed a PCR test to screen for SARS-CoV-2 with a negative result, provided that it is carried out within a maximum period of 72 hours prior to disembarkation;
- b) Conduct, through the collection of biological samples upon arrival, a PCR screening test for SARS-CoV-2, to be carried out by the health authority, and remain in isolation, in the respective home or in the intended accommodation establishment, until obtaining a negative result from the test.
- c) Carry out voluntary isolation, for a period of 14 days, at your home or at the accommodation establishment where accommodated, and if the accommodation period is less than 14 days, the confinement will have the duration of the accommodation period.
- d) Return to the destination of origin or any other destination outside the territory of the Autonomous Region of Madeira, fulfilling, until the time of the flight, isolation at home or in the accommodation establishment where accommodated.
3.1. The PCR screening tests for SARS-CoV-2 considered for the purposes of paragraphs a) and b) are those certified by national authorities and recommended by international health authorities, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO);
3.2. The financial costs incurred at the Hotel where the traveller is accommodated, in the cases referred to in paragraphs b) and c) of number 3 are the responsibility of the traveller alone.
Criteria for submission to the SARS CoV2 test in childhood and pre-adolescence:
- Children from 12 years old, subject to prior decision by the Health Authorities;
- Children with suspect criteria for COVID 19 disease;
- Children whose family members or companions are suspected cases;
- Other situations validated by the Health Authorities.
All passengers will be monitored through an APP (mobile application) “Madeira Safe to Discover” of the Regional Health Authority, of voluntary, but recommended use, or by telephone contact.
- Positive test result for COVID-19 disease
Mandatory confinement, if necessary compulsively, for a period of 14 days, in a health establishment, in the respective home or in an accommodation establishment, by decision of the competent health authorities:
a) For patients with COVID-19 and those infected with SARS-CoV-2;
b) For citizens for whom the health authority or other health professionals have determined active surveillance.
The Government of the Autonomous Region of Madeira collaborates with all Diplomatic Authorities and Operators involved.
All charges related to repatriation operations must be covered by passengers’ travel insurance.
Travellers between Madeira and Porto Santo are currently free from any control by Health authorities.
The Regional Government of Madeira, through the Regional Secretariat for Tourism and Culture, and Madeira Promotion Bureau are working side by side with all stakeholders to relaunch the Destination. Our teams are always available to share information.
- We advise that contacts be made with the respective airlines, tour operators, or travel agents to adjust returns.
- The Archipelago ports’and marinas are closed.
Madeira was the first region in Portugal to implement a “Contingency Plan for Emerging Infections: Coronavirus”, presented on 03 February 2020, a document that is subject to continuous updates.
Link (download): Plano de Contingência para Infeções Emergentes: COVID-19 da RAM (Contingency Plan for Emerging Infections: Coronavirus – COVID 19 in Madeira Islands) – portuguese version
Please consult the poster with health recommendations regarding Coronavirus – COVID 19: https://covidmadeira.pt/
For more information, browse the IASAÚDE microsite for regular updates at : https://covidmadeira.pt/
For more information on which countries have not been blocked from flying to Portugal, please consult the IATA’s website.
Miguel Pinto-Correia holds a Master Degree in International Economics and European Studies from ISEG – Lisbon School of Economics & Management and a Bachelor Degree in Economics from Nova School of Business and Economics. He is a permanent member of the Order of the Economists (Ordem dos Economistas)… Read more