MAR accepts the registration of the following leisure yachts:
- Commercial yachts with a hull length of between 7 and 50 meters and a maximum capacity of 12 passengers plus crew;
- Pleasure yachts with a hull length above 7 meters. It should be noted that pleasure yachts may only be registered permanently in MAR. The application form for the registration will be addressed to the Technical Commission of the register. For yachts with commercial purposes, the application form shall be followed by all the technical elements regarding safety of the yacht, according to Portuguese legislation and
The following legal documentation is required for the registration of commercial and pleasure yachts in MAR:
1. A power of attorney is to be granted by the applicant to a local legal representative when the domicile or the head office of the applicant is located outside the Autonomous Region of Madeira
2. Identification of the owner
In the case of corporate entity:
- A commercial certificate, original or certified copy;
- Identification of the managers or the person with powers to act on behalf of the company.
Note: for companies headed in Madeira a copy of the commercial certificate is sufficient.
In the case of a private owner:
- Complete identification, such as: name, address, marital status and, if married, which is the matrimonial property system (matrimonial joint ownership of property, separate ownership of property by married people, a.s.o.).
- Certified by a public notary.
Bill of sale
4. Certificate from the previous registry
5. Deletion certificate from the previous registry
6. Authorization from the mortgagees
Note: All the above documentation must be translated into Portuguese (certified translation).
The following technical documentation is required for the Registration of Pleasure
Yachts in MAR:
1. Prototype Approval
- With indication of the area of allowed navigation and the maximum number of persons on board.
2. Builder’s Certificate
3. Up To Date Survey Report
- This survey must be carried out by a Classification Society recognized by the Portuguese Government, or by a Maritime Authority (or a duly authorized entity on its behalf) of a State subscriber to the IMO Conventions
- The survey report must contain clear and exact information concerning:
- Hull and Structures, stability: maintenance and upkeep conditions of the hull and structures, including the date of the last inspection on ground. Information about stability in case of a nonstandard approved model.
- Machines and Assistance Facilities: upkeep and operating conditions of the propulsory engines, electric generators, drain pumps, fire devices (reference to amount and distinctive signs).
- Navigation, Rescue and Assistance Facilities: list of these facilities, including radio communication facilities.
- Standard Approval: if the craft is a standard model, it will be necessary to present a statement regarding that fact.
4. CE Type Examination Certificate
5. Station License
- If the pleasure craft is equipped with radio communications devices, it will be necessary to present the previous Radio Station license, the radio communication equipment survey report and also a Declaration of Responsibility for the Radio Accounts.
6. Colored photos of the yacht (6×9 cm), showcasing the vessel’s name and port of refuge.
Note: The inspection and resulting security certificate will be carried out every five years (at least). The lack of this certificate may imply the deletion of the registration at MAR.